Malta enjoys a key position in the heart of the Mediterranean and together with its world class port facilities, superyachts marinas and the provision of other various related services, Malta may now be considered one of the leading jurisdictions when it comes to the maritime industry.
The Maltese flag has grown to become an attractive, reputable and internationally recognised flag in the maritime world, with the Maltese Ship Register being one of the leading registers not only in Europe but also worldwide, with an increased record of superyachts being registered in more recent years.
Malta is considered as having an advantageous, cost-efficient system which adheres to most of the major international safety standards and conventions whilst boasting an effective mortgage system and low tonnage tax schemes.
How can BDO help?
Our team of legal professionals have developed a strong understanding of the shipping and yachting industry and can assist assist ship and yacht owners by providing legal services on various matters, including the following:
- Ship and Yacht Registration
- Company incorporation and corporate restructurings
- Sale and purchase of yachts and ships
- Financing, including the drafting and reviewing of loan agreements, security agreements and any other ancillary documentation required to enter the relevant financing transaction
- Statutory mortgages and other forms of registered encumbrances
- Lease and Chartering Agreements
- Crewing and employment matters