The evolution of Malta into a robust international financial services hub resulted in a transformative period, notably characterised by the establishment of numerous credit institutions, electronic money institutions, and payments institutions. Under the purview of the Malta Financial Services Authority (MFSA), the regulatory body for financial services, these entities are subject to rigorous oversight and supervision. This strategic regulatory framework has solidified Malta’s position as a key player in the global financial landscape.
BDO Malta is well-positioned to support clients seeking licensing from the MFSA to operate e-money institutions or payment services institutions. We also actively guide digital banks, payment institutions, and electronic money institutions through regulatory requirements, addressing various aspects of their daily operations, such as employment, outsourcing, consumer legislation and AML compliance obligations.
Our services include:
- Providing expert guidance on organisational structure and compliance with legal and regulatory frameworks
- Supporting the entire licensing process for the relevant financial institution license
- Assistance with the drafting of all required internal policies and procedures
- Preparation of all the necessary documentation required to meet regulatory requirements
- Maintaining regular communication and coordination with the competent Maltese authorities
- Assistance with the setting up of the company with the Malta Business Registry (MBR)
- Advising on and ensuring compliance with AML requirements while establishing effective Know Your Customer (KYC) procedures.