BDO Malta Privacy Statement
BDO Malta, a Maltese civil partnership, is a member of BDO International Ltd, a UK company limited by guarantee, and forms part of the worldwide network of independent member firms. Each firm provides professional services under the name “BDO”.
BDO is an international network of independent public accounting, tax and advisory firms (the “BDO network”), which perform professional services under the name of BDO (the “BDO member firms”). BDO International Limited (“BDOI”) is a UK company limited by guarantee. It is the governing entity of the BDO network.
Each of BDOI and the member firms is a separate legal entity and has no liability for another such entity's acts or omissions. Nothing in the arrangements or rules of the BDO network shall constitute or imply an agency relationship or a partnership between BDOI and the member firms.
This privacy statement (“Privacy Statement”) applies only to the www.bdo.com.mt web site (or the “web site”) which is provided by BDO Malta (also referred to below as “we”, “us”, “our” or “BDO”) and not to the various separate web sites as per each location where BDO is present it redirects you to.
By using www.bdo.com.mt and submitting any personal information to us, you agree to the use by us of your personal information in accordance with the terms of this Privacy Statement.
Information we collect
We may collect your personal information from a variety of sources, including information we collect from you directly (e.g. when you contact us and provide services to us), and information we collect about you from other sources, including commercially available sources, such as public databases (where permitted by law).
Certain personal information is required as a consequence of any contractual relationship we have with you or your employer, to enable us to carry out our contractual obligations to you or your employer. Failure to provide this information may prevent or delay the fulfilment of these obligations.
What personal information do you collect when I visit www.bdo.com.mt?
We do not require registration for access to www.bdo.com.mt but if you participate in any of the activities or services offered by www.bdo.com.mt, we will collect the personal information that we need in order to provide you with those services, such as:
- personal details (e.g. name, age, date of birth);
- contact details (e.g. phone number, email address, postal address or mobile number);
- employment details (e.g. job title; employer name);
We do not collect sensitive personal information from you from www.bdo.com.mt. Sensitive information includes data relating to: racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, religious or philosophical beliefs, or trade union membership, genetic data, biometric data, data concerning health or data concerning a natural person’s sex life or sexual orientation. Where you provide sensitive personal information to us voluntarily, your doing so will constitute your explicit consent to us using that information in connection with the purpose for which it has been provided.
When you visit this web site, we may collect technical information such as your IP (Internet Protocol) address, details of the pages you visit on www.bdo.com.mt, other pages you visit on the Web, and which browser you used to view www.bdo.com.mt.
When do you collect personal information through www.bdo.com.mt?
We collect personal information from you in the following circumstances:
- when you contact us to request further information.
- when you subscribe to any of our insights
- when you subscribe to any of our blogs
- when you register to attend an event
We collect the minimum amount of information to enable us to deal with your request. We will indicate where the provision of information is voluntary or compulsory. We would normally only request additional information to enable us to provide the most appropriate response to your request.
How do you use my personal information?
We only use the personal information that you provide to deal with your request, and to manage www.bdo.com.mt and the services that we offer to you via www.bdo.com.mt as described in this Privacy Statement.
We use your personal information to:
- carry out background checks prior to accepting you as a client;
- contact you with questions and other information regarding the services we are providing to you;
- ensure that our records are kept accurate and up to date where you, your employees or contractors work on or visit our facilities;
- ensure we issue accurate invoices for our services;
- send you messages about similar products and services which we think will be of interest to you;
- comply with legal obligations to which we are subject
We must have a legal basis to process your personal information. In most cases the legal basis will be one of the following:
- to fulfil our contractual obligations to you, for example to ensure that invoices are issued correctly, and for ensuring you are able to access our premises when required;
- to comply with our legal obligations to you, for example health and safety obligations while you are on our premises, or to a third party (e.g. to comply with a court order);
- to meet our legitimate interests so that: we are able to provide the services you request; our services function correctly in relation to your business; any complaints or concerns can be promptly relayed to you; we can respond to any questions or concerns you might have; we may carry out research and analysis to ensure products and services we offer are relevant to you, and; our records are kept up to date and accurate; and
- send you direct electronic marketing messages to the extent you have consented to receiving such messages in accordance with applicable law.
You have the right to request access to the personal information that you have submitted through www.bdo.com.mt, update or correct your details, opt out of receiving other information from BDO or request that your personal details are deleted from our systems at any time by e-mailing [email protected]. We will treat all such requests in accordance with applicable local law.
If you would like to provide consent to receive promotional or marketing e-mail from us in the future, you may let us know by sending us an e-mail to [email protected].
Will you provide my information to a third party?
We do not share your personal information with third parties unless we have a lawful basis for doing so. We rely on third-party service providers to perform a variety of services on our behalf, such as website hosting, electronic message delivery, payment processing, data analytics and research. This may mean that we have to share your personal information with these third parties. When we share your personal information in this way, we put in place appropriate measures to make sure that our service providers keep your personal information secure.
From time to time, we may disclose personal information in response to a court order, subpoena, government investigation, or as otherwise required or permitted by law.
Other situations in which we may disclose your personal information to a third party, are:
- perform other services we request from service providers;
- in the course of a sale or an acquisition of BDO Malta;
- where permitted by law, to protect and defend our rights and property; and
- when required by law, and/or public authorities;
We may also share aggregated information that cannot identify you for general business analysis, e.g. we may disclose the number of visitors to its websites or services.
We do not provide information to third parties for their own marketing purposes and we do not undertake mailings for third parties.
We have implemented generally accepted standards of technology and operational security to protect personal information from loss, misuse, alteration or destruction. We require all employees and principals to keep personal information confidential and only authorised personnel have access to this information.
We will retain your personal information in accordance with our data retention policy which set out data retention periods required or permitted by applicable law.
The content of this site is designed to provide general guidance on matters of interest and the services available from BDO. The content of this site does not constitute professional advice.
In preparing this site, every effort has been made to ensure the content is up to date and accurate. However, law and regulations change continually and unintentional errors can occur and therefore the information may neither be up to date nor accurate.
BDO accepts no liability for any loss arising as a result of any action taken or refrained from as a result of information contained on this site or any other sites to which this site may be linked.
Please contact BDO for specific advice on any area of interest.
If you have questions or concerns regarding the way in which your personal information has been used, please contact the Privacy Champion at [email protected].
We are committed to working with you to obtain a fair resolution of any complaint or concern about privacy. If, however, you believe that we have not been able to assist with your complaint or concern, you have the right to make a complaint to the Office of the Information and Data Protection Commissioner of Malta using their website https://idpc.org.mt.
You may request a copy of this privacy notice from us using the contact details set out above. We may modify or update this privacy notice from time to time. You will be able to see when we last updated the privacy notice because we will include a revision date. Changes and additions to this privacy notice are effective from the date on which they are posted.
Please review this privacy notice from time to time to check whether we have made any changes to the way in which we use your personal information.
© November 2018 BDO. All rights reserved.